Blitz Basic and AmiBlitz do not use a separate compiler. Instead, the code compilation is integrated into the editing environment, known as Ted. This has some advantages and disadvantages:
- Integrated compiler can highlight errors in the editor during compilation
- All compiler configuration is handled via the editor's GUI or in-line with the source, so no config files or scripts to edit
- Smooth, consistent workflow across all projects
- Impossible to use a different compiler so only one compiler is available
- Cannot directly compile using a DOS script
- Cannot use any other IDE or editor (unless code is imported into Ted for compilation)
All compilation settings are either set in the GUI of the editor or by using special commands in the source.